With the number of business travellers and tourists travelling from India to the UK increasing over the last few years, now getting a visa is easy and fast. Before applying for a UK visa, please keep these points in mind:
1. What are the different types of visa for the UK?
You can apply for either a tourist visa, business visa, or a long-term visa, depending on the length of your stay in the UK.
2. How to apply for the UK Visa?
The process to apply for the UK tourist visa is very simple – you can apply for the UK visa online and get an appointment scheduled. On the day of your appointment, you need to bring your appointment letter and all documents required at the visa centre. Once the visa filing process is completed, you will be issued an acknowledgement receipt. Please hold on to your receipt as you will need this later to collect your passport.
3. How to enrol for biometric information?
You need to enrol your fingerprints and photograph (known as biometric information collection) at the visa application centre. This includes a digital finger scan and a digital photograph. The finger scan procedure uses an electronic scanner. You should ensure that your fingertips are free from any forms of decoration (for example, henna), cuts, abrasions or other markings as these may affect your ability to provide acceptable finger scans.
4. What are the documents required for visa to the UK?
Every passenger requiring a visa will need to submit the following documents, in electronic and coloured format:
- Your passport, along with a valid passport or travel document with at least 1 page that is blank on both sides.
- Scan of picture/bio page of passport. Passports should be valid for a minimum of six months from the date of travel.
- Passport-style colour photograph(as per the specification)
- Proof-of-residency, eg: residence visa, utility bill, tenancy contract, phone bill, credit card bill, official printed address page in passport.
- Evidence of your permission to be in the country where you are applying, if you are not a national of that country.
- Evidence of your sponsor’s leave to remain in the UK if you are applying as their dependant.
- Evidence of your travel – flight details
- Evidence of the employment and all income stated on application form, such as: letter from employer / pay slips / tax returns / business registration documents / business bank account/ statements
- Evidence of being in education (where applicable)
- Evidence of qualifications obtained
In some cases, other supporting documents, such as marriage certificates, etc., may also be required.
5. What is the valid time period of the UK short-term Visa?
Indian passport holders can apply for the UK short-term Visa that allows stay for a maximum period of 6 months.
6. What is the cost of applying for the UK Visa?
The cost for a short-term visa to the UK comes around Rs. 7956.
7. How long does it take to get a visa?
Provided all required documents are submitted correctly, visas are normally processed in 15 days.
8. How to check the status of your UK Visa?
You can track your application online on vfsglobal.com.
The process and approval of UK Visa depends on the sole discretion of the UK Immigration Authorities. For more information, please go through the official UK Immigration site.