Indian Railways offers several types of concessions on certain IRCTC ticket bookings. These concessions are for select passengers that include senior citizens, patients, students, widows of defence personnel and sportsmen.
Some of the major IRCTC train ticket concession rules include:
- Senior citizens (men who are 60 years and above, women who are 58 and above) can avail 40% and 50% on all classes respectively.
- National awardees and other awardees can avail concession up to 75% based on their achievements.
- War widows, widows of defence personnel and of martyrs of Operation Kargil can avail a concession of 75% in second class and sleeper class.
Students & Other Youth
- Students can avail up to 75% concession on second class and sleeper class tickets based on the course and the purpose of travel.
- Youth attending national camps, unemployed youths attending interviews and Bharat Scouts & Guides who travel on scouting duty also avail a concession of 50% on sleeper and second class tickets.
- Farmers can avail up to 50% concession on sleeper class and second class tickets based on their purpose of travel.
Artists & Sportspersons
- Artists and sportspersons can avail up to 75% concession on sleeper class and second class tickets, and 50% concession on other tickets when they travel for work.
- Doctors get 10% concession in all classes, and nurses & midwives get a 25% concession on second class and sleeper class tickets.
- Disabled passengers: This category consists of the passengers who are orthopaedically handicapped, paraplegic persons, mentally retarded persons, blind persons or dead and dumb persons, all of who cannot travel alone for any purpose. The disabled passengers except the deaf & dumb are eligible for a 75% concession in second, sleeper, first class, AC-3 tier and AC chair car; 50% concession on First AC and AC-2 tier, 25% concession in AC-3 tier and AC chair car of Shatabdi/Rajdhani, 50% concession in first and second class monthly season ticket and quarterly season tickets. The deaf & dumb passengers are allowed a 50% concession on all non-AC classes. An escort is allowed to travel with these passengers.
- Cancer patients can avail a concession of 75% in second, first class and AC chair car, 100% on sleeper and AC 3 tier, 50% in first AC and AC 2 tier.
- Thalassemia patients, heart patients and kidney patients can avail a concession of 75% in second class, sleeper, first class, AC 3 tier and AC chair car, and 50% in First AC and AC 2 tier.
- Haemophilia patients can avail 75% in second, sleeper, first class, AC 3 tier and AC chair car.
- Tuberculosis patients can avail 75% concession in second class, sleeper and first class.
- Non-infectious leprosy patients can avail a concession of 75% in second class, sleeper and first class.
- AIDS patients can avail 50% in second class.
- Ostomy patients can avail 50% in first and second class monthly and quarterly season tickets.
- Sickle cell anemia and aplastic anemia patients can avail 50% in sleeper, AC chair car, AC 3 tier and AC 2 tier.
Apart from these major categories, there are other sub-categories where the passengers can avail a considerable concession on their train ticket bookings.