Tatkal, which literally translates to “immediately”, are for those who could not plan their train travel well in advance. When you need to make last minute train ticket bookings, Tatkal tickets are perhaps the only option to have your train tickets booked.
Tatkal tickets can be booked for any IRCTC train, for all AC and non-AC classes. The Advance Reservation Period (ARP) has been now reduced from two days to one day prior to the scheduled date of the journey.
When Can I Book Tatkal Tickets
Tatkal tickets can be booked online, and this facility is available on the IRCTC website from 10AM for AC tatkal tickets and from 11AM for non-AC tatkal tickets on the IRCTC website. You can also book tatkal tickets on Paytm, where the ticket booking facility opens 30 mins after it is opened on the IRCTC website.
Tatkal Ticket Guidelines & Rules
The tatkal ticket booking guidelines and rules include:
- Bookings for a maximum of 4 passengers can be done in a single tatkal ticket booking.
- No quotas like Ladies or General quota are allowed during tatkal ticket bookings.
- A fixed rate of 10% on second class ticket bookings, and 30% of the base fare on other class tickets, is charged on each tatkal train ticket booking.
- There will be no refund on the cancellation of the confirmed tatkal tickets.
- A refund is made for waitlisted or RAC tatkal tickets after deducting the clerkage if applicable.
Tatkal Ticket Reservation Through Agents
There are several agents with whom you can rely on to get your tatkal tickets booked. However, these tickets are charged higher than the websites, but the chances of getting your tickets confirmed is higher here.