The Indian Railways, is to introduce new flexi-fare schemes for some of the premium trains like Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Duronto Express, with effect from March 15, 2019. The new flexi-fares were introduced by the Railways in October, and the same has been reflected on the ticketing systems, making it available to those who book the tickets in advance.
Here are some of the updates on the new flexi-fare schemes:
- Flexi-fares will not be applicable for 6 months for a few trains that have monthly occupancy of less than 50%.
- Flexi-fares have been removed completely for 15 premium trains.
- Flexi-fares will not be applicable for February, March and August for Ranchi-Howrah Shatabdi Express, Ranchi-New Delhi Rajdhani Express and Puri-Howrah Shatabdi Express.
- Flexi-fares have been withdrawn for a fortnight starting from March 15, 2019 to March 31, 2019, for Howrah-New Jalpaiguri Shatabdi Express and New Jalpaiguri-Howrah Shatabdi Express, on experimental basis.
- The cap of flexi-fares has been revised from 1.5 times of the base fare to 1.4 times the base fare.
The flexi-fare scheme is an initiative by the Indian Railways which was implemented for 142 premium trains in India. These trains include Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Duronto. These dynamically priced fare scheme is applicable for all berths except AC First Class and Executive Class.