Want to cancel a counter ticket, online? You can do it within minutes. However, depending on the time of the cancellation, charges might be applicable. Online cancellation is allowed only up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, in case of confirmed tickets. Here’s how you can cancel your counter tickets and claim refund:
- Go to IRCTC website and under the ‘Trains’ section, go to ‘Cancel’ ticket and click on the ‘Counter ticket’ option.
- Now, enter the PNR number, Train number, fill in the Captcha and click on the submit button.
- After clicking on the Submit button, an OTP will be sent on the mobile number given at the time of ticket booking.
- Enter the OTP and click on Submit. Once the OTP is validated, PNR details will be displayed
- Click on ‘Cancel ticket’ after checking all details. The refund amount will be displayed on the screen. Following this, an SMS with refund details will be sent on the mobile number.
You can only claim refund for counter ticket cancellation if you submit the original Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counter ticket at any PRS counter, 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train in case of confirmed ticket. In case of RAC or waitlisted tickets, you need to submit the ticket up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the train.
If the scheduled departure time is between 6:01 pm and 6:00 am, the tickets can be cancelled during the first two hours of the opening of PRS counters on the next day.