Most of us have gone through the hassle of ticket cancellation due to last-minute change in travel plans. When it comes to train ticket bookings, we prefer doing it in advance to get confirmed tickets but plans don’t always fall in place & there are times when travelling on planned dates is not possible. Well, you don’t need to cancel your tickets now. You can simply pass on your ticket to a family member. Yes, in their consistent effort to improve train travel experience for passengers, Indian Railways now allow a passenger with a confirmed ticket to get their ticket transferred to a family member’s name.
Here are a couple of things that you must keep in mind:
- You need to have a confirmed ticket to opt for this service.
- If you have booked the ticket on Paytm, you need to submit a written application to the Station Manager or the Chief Reservation Supervisor, along with photo copies of the proof of your relationship with the person.
- The application must be submitted at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
- If you are a student, submit a written application from the head of your institution, 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train. The ticket can be transferred only to another student of the same institution.
- If you need to opt for a large group transfer, a request must be raised 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
- Change of name of the passenger is authorized by Chief Reservation Supervisors of only important stations. Ensure that you check with the concerned officer at the station, well in advance.
In case of any query regarding your ticket transfer, you can call on our 24/7 helpline number 9555395553. The ticket transfer rules are governed by IRCTC. For more information or clarity, do refer to the IRCTC website.